A couple odds and ends that really tickled me this month. For Jan 1, there was a combined service for the local churches 45 minutes west of us. All rides were shared, and since I was renting a hospital SUV, I got a car packed full of the older ladies (and some lap kids). It was quite fun, because they mostly sang Women's Group songs along the way, so I learned some new ones. One favorite was one they serenaded me with, translated as follows:
"M, you're our Driver today
Drive Carefully because...
Our families are waiting for us... Our husbands are waiting for us... our children are waiting for us."
The song was also kind of an enforcement mechanism. If I took a pothole too fast (there were many many on that stretch of road), then they would break into this song. A friendly reminder I guess.
A Nigerian friend just taught me a Nigerian English expresion. "JJC." This stands for "Journey Just Come." And its used kinda like our FOB or for someone who has just arrived and still getting their feet wet. I tried it out on another Nigerian and they recognized it. Love it. JJC.

Comments