One of the ironies of our life right now is that although this year we have done a great deal of travelling and are kind of on an exotic trip, our day to day life is quite geographically confined. If you were to see a satellite map of my life the previous 30 days, you would see that my whole time has been spent within a 500 meter circle. I have not gone outside of the compound or the hospital for a whole month. Usually, my week is punctuated by the one mile walk to church, but the last four Sundays I had been on call or had to work. So this morning was my first 'outing' in some time.
Although I would say this month has been exceptional in just how confined it's been, my travels since January add up to much less than an American's average daily commute. Outside of regular trips to church, the farthest I have gone from home was on a picnic outing to a scenic overlook a couple miles east of town. But so far, I have felt pretty content: travel in this country is not comfortable and I interact with an amazing variety of people groups and friends in the hospital.
Comments