Skip to main content

Morning Snack

Our beloved household helper, A, is our kids' biggest source of local language lessons and traditional local foods during morning snack.  Here I. and A. look over the morning's tuwo da miya.  The tuwo was a porridge made from pounded and boiled maize, thickened enough to cut into pieces.  Over it was poured miya, or sauce, made from dried, pulverized okra and black-eyed peas.  A few weeks ago, I was struggling with the lack of fresh fruits and vegetables that seemed to be available.  Around that time, as I was discussing with A. the ingredients for various recipes of miya, I was astonished at the number of local plants that could be used in making sauce.  During the rainy season, ground that is brown and dusty for the rest of the year bursts forth with many kinds of haki, or weeds.  A. led me outside and around our yard and the neighbor's (where two Hausa friends were at that moment picking haki), pointing out and naming over ten different weeds that could be used for sauce.  I wished my mother was there to give me further horticultural insight!  But, it challenged my perception of what fresh vegetables were or were not available.    

Comments

jo said…
when I was in chad, I made dumplings out of ground goat and a local rainy-season plant called zora. probably not haute cuisine, but they got the general idea ;-)

Popular posts from this blog

USBs with Minority Languages

5th Grade Memories

  Enjoyed this wall hanging at a local official's office.

Snippets

Some recent glimpses of our life here. The local trader has many nicknacks that are mostly uninteresting, but he looks out for old coins for me.  This Napoleon III French Emperor coin was from 1855.  Makes one wonder how it made it all this way here.  Gave me a great opportunity to lecture my kids on a fascinating period of history, and give them a 'piece' of it (No French pun intended). Here are some photos from our most recent 4 day seminar.  This was actually the 7th step of the 'Timothy Training' and those who had been through the various steps were rewarded with a recently published Hausa Bible commentary.  After the Bible, there are relatively few rich theological resources readily available in Hausa, so we were glad to be able to distribute these. We recently inducted a new PAACS (Pan African Association of Christian Surgeons) resident into our program.  While I am not one of the faculty for this program, I do appreciate these do...