Skip to main content

The Deaf Hear

We have less than 10 small solar powered hearing aides, but its often hard to find a good candidate for them.  They don't always work for a patients' condition, or patients have trouble maintaining them.
  But this woman was my one real success story with them.  When we put in her hearing aide 3 months ago, her face lit up.  She had been unable to carry on a conversation when I first met her, but when she returned from our ear/eye suite, she was grinning at me and easily hearing what I said.  I also saw her a few weeks later in the waiting room, with her aide set snugly under her mayafi and in place.  She chatted with me comfortably
   Of course, its always hard to keep technology working here.  She returned last week with the machine no longer working.  I am not sure what the problem was, nor do we have the technical expertise to do much investigation.  This is always the problem with biomedical tech here, its very hard to maintain and we often don't have the expertise and infrastructure that is so readily available in the West.  Fortunately for her, we were able to supply her with a new aide, as we try to figure out the problem with the old.  As you can imagine, she went away happy... I just hope this one lasts longer for her...
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USBs with Minority Languages

5th Grade Memories

  Enjoyed this wall hanging at a local official's office.

Snippets

Some recent glimpses of our life here. The local trader has many nicknacks that are mostly uninteresting, but he looks out for old coins for me.  This Napoleon III French Emperor coin was from 1855.  Makes one wonder how it made it all this way here.  Gave me a great opportunity to lecture my kids on a fascinating period of history, and give them a 'piece' of it (No French pun intended). Here are some photos from our most recent 4 day seminar.  This was actually the 7th step of the 'Timothy Training' and those who had been through the various steps were rewarded with a recently published Hausa Bible commentary.  After the Bible, there are relatively few rich theological resources readily available in Hausa, so we were glad to be able to distribute these. We recently inducted a new PAACS (Pan African Association of Christian Surgeons) resident into our program.  While I am not one of the faculty for this program, I do appreciate these do...