Skip to main content

Nicknames

I love our national staff... which is a good thing because we have about 144 nationals compared to 10 westerners working at the hospital. They really make the place hum, and flavor our whole work atmosphere. It's been amazing how many nicknames they invent for me. Perhaps it's partly because my name doesn't really have a cognate in Hausa, so I am left with 'Matiyu,' 'Matta,' 'Mattheus,' 'Magyll,' etc. But other influences also affect their thinking. The previous tall white doctor in my role was called 'Likita Chop-Chop,' - Likita means Dr. and Chop-Chop means fast. So I often get called Likita Chop-Chop, especially if I am moving quickly. This name is definitely preferable to the name another predecessor had, Likita Brake, and so I am always trying to dodge that appellation. I have tried to promote Likita Tsaka - "Doctor Just Right" as a speed somewhere between chop-chop and brake, but it has not really caught on.
Another one is 'bokan turai.' A 'boka' is a 'sooth-sayer, wizard, quack doctor,' while Turai is the word for Europe... so a bokan turai is a European medical man. This does reflect one of the realities of work here: as a a medical doctor, my cultural authority is much less than it is in the West. Rather, I am viewed as a not entirely trustworthy, certainly very western, and remarkably expensive source of advice... to be listened to or not as inclination as financial resources allow. Indeed, a majority of our patients are seen by a traditional boka before they ever make it to us: in a country with so few medical doctors, they are our principal competition.
Probably my favorite nickname is 'Likita EKG.' This reflects the fact that I brought the EKG that the hospital bought this summer, and am still the only doctor using it. Admittedly, an EKG has pretty limited usefulness in this context... we do not have any pacemakers available for implant! But it sometimes does have a role... and I am glad to be associated with that little technological marvel.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

noish said…
What is the Hausa word for Bean?
phillybean said…
'Wake' is Bean in Hausa...though I don't think anyone here has caught on. ;)

Popular posts from this blog

USBs with Minority Languages

5th Grade Memories

  Enjoyed this wall hanging at a local official's office.

Snippets

Some recent glimpses of our life here. The local trader has many nicknacks that are mostly uninteresting, but he looks out for old coins for me.  This Napoleon III French Emperor coin was from 1855.  Makes one wonder how it made it all this way here.  Gave me a great opportunity to lecture my kids on a fascinating period of history, and give them a 'piece' of it (No French pun intended). Here are some photos from our most recent 4 day seminar.  This was actually the 7th step of the 'Timothy Training' and those who had been through the various steps were rewarded with a recently published Hausa Bible commentary.  After the Bible, there are relatively few rich theological resources readily available in Hausa, so we were glad to be able to distribute these. We recently inducted a new PAACS (Pan African Association of Christian Surgeons) resident into our program.  While I am not one of the faculty for this program, I do appreciate these do...