One adjustment to living here is the critters. Lizards are as endemic as squirrels here. Actually, more so... our short-term surgeon said that he counted 37 recently on his three minute walk to work. Most look pretty similar but not quite as cool as this pictured chameleon... a couple minutes before he turned an angry black!
Not as fun are the bugs. There probably are not more insects here than the states, but they are more often found in our house. I am glad to be married to an entomologist's daughter, because T fares pretty well with them... except for the cockroaches. These make us all a little uncomfortable. Ir and E have become excitable spotters, and I get to be the designated swatter. Unfortunately, our fly-swatter does not quite get the job done... I am searching for a suitable alternative after breaking the dustpan.
T's naturalist family roots come through in a lot of healthy ways... two recent acquisitions were "Birds of West Africa" and "Reptiles of West Africa." But I cannot say we have really gotten into hiking here... our family walks have not gotten much farther than the airstrip. It does not help that the terrain around here is mostly unvariegated savannah (or what my untrained eye would call 'desert-y' terrain).
In other news... We thank God that our freezer is reportedly fixed!

Comments